Monday, July 30, 2012

News Story & Come Say Hello!

Christy and Aubrey were at it again and managed to get the attention of the local NBC news here to cover their efforts to help fund our adoption.  Here is the story:



[Yes, we wish they had used people-first language here "Orphan with Down syndrome" instead of "Down syndrome orphan.", but we know their hearts were in the right place]
We were all so nervous about this interview.  We only found out about it the night before.  As we drove there all I could think about was how I could use these few seconds to advocate for these kids the best I could.  The actual interview took a while, and we discussed a lot.  Of course they have to edit things, but I think the message still got across, and hopefully more people are now aware of the need to help these children.  A child is just a child, no matter where they reside or what nationality they are.  I believe it is our duty as adults to advocate for them regardless of borders.  Our situation just happens to put our attention on Eastern Europe, but there are needs everywhere you find children, including right here in the US.

The thing that surprised me the most about the interview was the reporter.  Every time I would start talking, he would get tears in his eyes!  So of course I became emotional too!  I thought it was really neat to see that he was touched himself by our story and the needs of these orphans.  He did a wonderful job!  And the cameraman was also incredible.  He was so good with the kids, even Jake, who wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of it!

Response at the play house since being at Edwards Theater in Boise has been incredible!  People have been so generous and kind.  I didn't know that there are free concerts on Thursday nights there.  We will be there this Thursday night to see the playhouse and say thanks to those stopping by.  Hope to see you there!


2 comments:

  1. Oh I love the thing about the reporter! How sweet. It was a great segment, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you guys. I feel so blessed to be able to call you family.

    ReplyDelete