Saturday, November 10, 2012

A couple thoughts.

I wrote this several weeks ago but never published it, as I was planning on writing more, but that never happened, so here it is :)  There is a new post from today below this one, so read on!  Sorry I have been MIA lately, but you'll soon read why...

I am not feeling great today.  It's been coming on for a couple of days.  A scratchy throat, a dull headache that came to a head today after church.  As I sit on my couch, forced to slow down my body and hence my mind, I am enjoying a moment to think about the many incredible things I have been a part of since this adoption began.

When I originally posted on this blog about our yard sale fundraiser, I received an email from a woman named Aubrey, who told me she knew all about Reece's Rainbow and wanted to drop off some clothes for us to sell and to say hello.  As we emailed back and forth about a good time to meet up, I thought she had a cute personality and seemed so nice and friendly.  When we actually met, we discovered that we had a lot in common, including some mutual friends.  Of course, Aubrey ended up being one of the consipirators who helped make the "miracle playhouse" a reality, forever changing our lives in so many ways.  Not only would that playhouse signal the end of worrying so much about the financial aspects of the adoption, but it changed how I see people in general.  Here were two complete strangers (Christy & Aubrey), two very busy mothers of young children, making huge sacrifices for a family they didn't even know, for a child who they had never even met.  Christy and Aubrey spent every weekend for a month at that playhouse, being rejected over and over for donations.  They told me it was so interesting to see that those who obviously had plenty of money were the most likely to reject them.  One man, who they say looked like he had very little to call his own, actually went over to an ATM to get money out of his bank account to donate.  Wow.  Would I have been like that man before this experience?  I hope I would.  I know I would now.

 I know I can make a difference with $5.00, with one blanket, with a tube of diaper rash cream.  Things that we see as nothing really, are really something.  If you didn't go read my friend Amy's post about how the little things can profoundly change a life,please go read it now.  You won't regret it.  In fact, it might make you look at the world with new eyes.  One of my sweet nieces has been wanting to help with our adoption.  She's read and heard about all of the huge, dramatic events that have happened throughout our adoption process, and was feeling overwhelmed about how she could do something like that.  Her mom read Amy's post and said, "I want to share this with her, to show her that something as small as a blanket can change the life of a child."  What a neat thing to show a child, that they can change the world.

We may not be able to do everything, but we can all do something.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post to your friend's website. Wow! What a great writer and what a cute family!

    ReplyDelete